Just for fun, I've decided to link up with the final week for Project Run and Play! This week's challenge was to create your Signature Look. My dress is simple, but it truly does capture what I believe is my singature look: Summer Whimsy.
Why Summer Whimsy? Well, we live in California, so I love summer dresses and breezy, casual beauty. I'm also drawn to whimsical prints, such as the one I used for this dress. I can't deny that my signature style has been influenced by my daughter--I just love to make what she loves!
So, before the linky party closes, here are some pics for you!
Some quick details:
- This is a shirred summer dress, cut as an A line (not just a straight piece of fabric with shirring). I LOVE a good A line silhouette.
- The shirring on top is done with elastic thread in the bobbin. It's a very simple (and common) style, and very much my signature. I've made my daughter about 10 of these and she wears them all.the.time.
- The sleeves are made from vintage trim out of my Grandma's epic stash. She gave it to me about 2 years ago and I put it on almost everything I make. This is another of my sewing signatures.
- The dress also has pockets in the side panels. I love this part! My daughter is a casual-beauty kind of girl--she loves dresses, but she also likes to dig in the dirt--so pockets are her delight.
- The fabric is from Sarah Jane's line Out to Sea and features little pirate girls, many with blonde hair. I picked this fabric because it reminds me so much of my daughter. Spunky, creative, beautiful, and a whole lot of fun!
I'm planning a tutorial for this version of the dress (specifically the pockets) for next week. I hope to see you all back then! Thanks for reading!